Pendleton Airbase

Common Name: 
Pendleton Municipal Airport
Register/Inventory: 
Local
Address: 
2016 Airport Road
Addition: 
Pendair Height
Plat: 
2N 32 05 BA, BB, BC, BD
Page: 
6
Date Constructed: 
1930, 1941
Original Owner: 
City of Pendleton, U.S. Air Force
Original Use/Function: 
Municipal Airport
Present Use: 
Municipal Airport
Area of significance/study theme: 
Historic Importance
Condition in 1985: 
Fair
Statement of significance: 
The first Pendleton Municipal Airport was built in 1930 primarily for air mail delivery and it was moved to its present location in 1934. In 1941 the U.S. Government improved the Airport and constructed the multitude of buildings required to operate the airport as an Air Force training base. The Airport became Pendleton Air Base and trained all the flyers, known as "Doolittles Raiders", who participated in a strategic attack on Tokyo on April 18, 1942 under Brigadier General James H. Doolittle. The building of the Airbase sparked economic growth in Pendleton and created a need for a great deal of new housing in the area. The Airport has since been returned to its original Municipal Airport status and serves both private and commercial air traffic.