Isaac House

Common Name: 
Boyd House
Register/Inventory: 
Local
Address: 
1406 SE Court
Lot: 
13, 14 & N 1/2 of 12
Block: 
164
Addition: 
Reservation
Plat: 
2N 32 11AA
Tax Lot: 
2001
Page: 
145
Date Constructed: 
1886-1890
Original Owner: 
A.M. Isaac
Original Use/Function: 
Private Home
Present Use: 
Private Home
Area of significance/study theme: 
Architectural Style, historical events
Architectural style: 
Italianate/Queen Anne Spindlework
Plan type/shape: 
Irregular
Structural Frame: 
Wood
Foundation material: 
Stone
Roof Form & Materials: 
Ridged hip with cross gables, composition shingles
Wall Construction: 
Wood Frame
Primary window type: 
One-Over-One, Double-Hung
Primary exterior surfacing materials: 
Horizontal drop, wood siding
Outstanding decorative features: 
Eave brackets, spindlework in gable and on porch, two story bay windows
Number of stories: 
2
Condition in 1985: 
Good
Exterior alterations/additions (dated): 
A large sliding window has replaced original windows on the first front facade
Statement of significance: 
This house is an interesting composite of the Queen Anne and Italianate styles. The basic shape of the house with its hipped roof and centered gable is in the Italianate style. Paired and single brackets at the eaves, and the two story bay with cornice and brackets at each level are also strong Italianate features. The spindlework and decorative shingling in the gable end, the turned porch columns and the multi-pane second story windows are all borrowed from the Queen Anne style and at first glance the house may indeed appear to be Queen Anne style. However, a closer look at the porch trim, which consists of curved brackets with pendants and serrated molding between the columns, pinpoints the style as Italianate. The house was originally built between 1886 and 1890. It was renovated and rented by the Sisters of St. Francis between 1903 and 1906 for use as Pendleton's first hospital. It was purchased by the Sisters in 1907 and held by them until 1926.