McKenzie House

Common Name: 
McKenzie House
Register/Inventory: 
Local
Address: 
1104 NW Despain Ave
Lot: 
1
Block: 
4
Addition: 
Housers
Plat: 
2N 32 10BA
Tax Lot: 
1300
Page: 
7
Date Constructed: 
1928
Original Owner: 
Hugh S. McKenzie
Architect/Builder: 
Victor Siebert of Walla Walla
Original Use/Function: 
Private House
Present Use: 
Private House
Area of significance/study theme: 
Architectural Style
Architectural style: 
Tudor
Plan type/shape: 
Rectangle with small wings
Foundation material: 
Concrete
Roof Form & Materials: 
Steep side gable with front gabled wing
Primary window type: 
Multi-pane casement
Primary exterior surfacing materials: 
Stucco
Outstanding decorative features: 
Stone or concrete window sills, wrought iron balustrade under small arched window on east wing, shutters
Number of stories: 
1 1/2
Basement: 
Yes
Condition in 1985: 
Good
Exterior alterations/additions (dated): 
Fiberglass, shed roof front porch
Statement of significance: 
Built by Dr. Hugh S. McKenzie in 1928 and still owned by the family. Dr. McKenzie, an eye, ear, nose and throat specialist, practiced in Pendleton from 1920 to 1970. The only alteration to the house has been the conversion of the basement into an apartment, it is otherwise intact as constructed in 1928. The steep gables and casement windows are the hallmarks of the Tudor style. This house does not have the typical exterior decorative elements such as half-timbering and fancy brickwork but is is representative of a handful of such understated Tudor homes in Pendleton.