Gas Station

Common Name: 
Gas Station
Register/Inventory: 
Local
Address: 
1008 SE Court Place
Lot: 
8
Block: 
15
Addition: 
Reservation
Plat: 
2N 32 11AB
Tax Lot: 
2600
Page: 
137
Date Constructed: 
1921
Original Owner: 
Bellinger & Parker
Original Use/Function: 
Commercial
Present Use: 
Commercial
Area of significance/study theme: 
Architectural Style
Architectural style: 
Craftsman
Plan type/shape: 
Square
Structural Frame: 
Wood
Foundation material: 
Concrete
Roof Form & Materials: 
Gable with corrugated metal roofing
Wall Construction: 
Wood Frame
Primary window type: 
One-Over-One, Double-Hung
Primary exterior surfacing materials: 
Horizontal wood siding & stucco
Outstanding decorative features: 
Decorative rafter ends
Number of stories: 
1
Basement: 
Yes
Condition in 1985: 
Fair
Associated structures: 
Metal garage building attached behind, flat roofed porte cochere over gas pumps
Exterior alterations/additions (dated): 
Metal garage added in the 1970's
Statement of significance: 
One of Pendleton's earliest gasoline stations which is still in use today. Built in the Craftsman style, the main building features a low pitched gable roof. The original shingles have been replaced by corrugated metal roofing. The flat roofed porte cochere displays the characteristic exposed rafter ends decorated with cut outs. The horizontal band of windows around three sides of the building shows the influence of the contemporary Prairie style. This is the only existing Craftsman style structure in Pendleton which was built for commercial use.