Milarkey Building

Common Name: 
Rainbow Cafe
Register/Inventory: 
Local
Address: 
209 S Main
Lot: 
1, S 1/2
Block: 
3
Addition: 
Original Town of Pendleton
Plat: 
2N 32 10AA
Tax Lot: 
11900
Page: 
82
Date Constructed: 
1880
Original Owner: 
Thomas Milarkey
Original Use/Function: 
Commercial
Present Use: 
Commercial
Area of significance/study theme: 
Architectural Style
Architectural style: 
Italianate
Plan type/shape: 
Rectangular 25' x 100'
Structural Frame: 
Brick
Foundation material: 
Stone
Roof Form & Materials: 
Flat/Membrane roof
Wall Construction: 
Brick
Primary window type: 
Arched one-over-one, double-hung
Primary exterior surfacing materials: 
Brick
Outstanding decorative features: 
Very elaborate brick work at cornice, window moldings, pilaster rustication, windowsill brackets
Number of stories: 
2
Basement: 
No
Condition in 1985: 
Good
Associated structures: 
North bearing wall shared with Milarkey Building to the North (built 1883-1884)
Exterior alterations/additions (dated): 
First story covered with black glass panels, storefront altered
Statement of significance: 
Elaborate detailing in the High Italianate style and its intact second story facade sets this building apart as one of Pendleton's most important historic resources. Bricks for the building were transported by Thomas Milarkey from the Weston Brick-works. Thomas Milarkey was a prominent businessman, landowner, and prolific builder very early in Pendleton's History - The 1890 City Directory list him as retired. Reputed to be the first brick building in Pendleton (and if not THE first, then ONE of the first)