Judd Building

Common Name: 
Johns Building
Register/Inventory: 
Local
Address: 
146 S Main St
Lot: 
7 & 8
Block: 
2
Addition: 
Original Town of Pendleton
Plat: 
2N 32 10AA
Tax Lot: 
3600
Page: 
51
Date Constructed: 
1896-1900
Original Owner: 
Henry E. Judd
Original Use/Function: 
Commercial
Present Use: 
Commercial
Area of significance/study theme: 
Architectural Style
Plan type/shape: 
Square 100' x 100'
Structural Frame: 
Stone/Brick
Foundation material: 
Stone
Roof Form & Materials: 
Flat/Membrane roof
Wall Construction: 
Stone/Brick
Primary window type: 
One-Over-One, Double-Hung
Primary exterior surfacing materials: 
Brick
Outstanding decorative features: 
Rusticated stone first story and window lintels and sills
Number of stories: 
2
Condition in 1985: 
Good
Exterior alterations/additions (dated): 
Storefront windows have been altered periodically
Statement of significance: 
The use of rusticated stone for the first story has no precedent in commercial buildings in Pendleton. The stone is used for columns between storefront windows along court street. The Main Street facade treats the stone more as a wall surface. Semi-circular arched openings frame entrance doors on each facade. Historic photos of this building show a projecting cornice of stone above the second story windows, this would add considerably to its Italianate character.