n/a

Common Name: 
The Club Restaurant
Register/Inventory: 
Local
Address: 
138 S Main St
Lot: 
9
Block: 
2
Addition: 
Original Town
Plat: 
2N 32 10AA
Tax Lot: 
3700
Page: 
50
Date Constructed: 
pre-1884, 1889
Original Owner: 
C.L. Jewell & Jeremiah Despain
Original Use/Function: 
Commercial
Present Use: 
Commercial
Area of significance/study theme: 
Architectural Style
Architectural style: 
Italianate
Plan type/shape: 
Rectangular 50' x 100'
Structural Frame: 
Brick
Foundation material: 
Stone
Roof Form & Materials: 
Flat/Membrane roof
Wall Construction: 
Brick
Primary window type: 
Storefront
Primary exterior surfacing materials: 
Stucco
Outstanding decorative features: 
Elaborate cast iron columns with recessed panels, tiny semi-circular pediments adorn columns at about roof line, large panels for signage on parapet
Number of stories: 
1
Basement: 
No
Condition in 1985: 
Fair
Exterior alterations/additions (dated): 
South portion 28' x 100' built prior to 1884. North portion, 22' x 100', built about 1889 to replace former wood building. Storefronts have been remodeled.
Statement of significance: 
Jeremiah Despain was a very early landowner and businessman whose name is associated with many historic buildings as an early owner. Depsain was already dead in 1890. The construction of this one story commercial building may well have been one of his latest undertakings. The building follows the design pattern of the early wood frame frontier buildings, the oversize parapet resembles the false fronts used to conceal gabled ends.