Thompson House

Common Name: 
Professional Offices
Register/Inventory: 
Local
Address: 
134 SW Dorion Ave
Lot: 
J/13
Block: 
58
Addition: 
Original Town/Reservation
Plat: 
2N 32 10AA
Tax Lot: 
14500
Page: 
74
Date Constructed: 
1905-1910
Original Owner: 
Dr. J.M. Pruett
Original Use/Function: 
Private Residence
Present Use: 
Optometrist & Real Estate Office
Area of significance/study theme: 
Architectural Style
Architectural style: 
Craftsman Bungalow
Plan type/shape: 
Rectangular
Structural Frame: 
Wood
Foundation material: 
Cast stone
Roof Form & Materials: 
Hipped w/hipped dormers
Wall Construction: 
Wood Frame
Primary window type: 
Various, see Statement of Significance
Primary exterior surfacing materials: 
Narrow horiztonal wood siding
Number of stories: 
1 1/2
Basement: 
Yes
Condition in 1985: 
Excellent
Exterior alterations/additions (dated): 
Back porch facing 2nd street has been partially enclosed, office entry doors with side lights have been added to front
Statement of significance: 
This house is one of the earliest built in the Bungalow style in Pendleton. It is an excellent example of the rare one story, hipped roof subtype which accounts for only 5 percent of Craftsman houses nationwide. Due to its location near the center of town, the structure has been used for commercial purposes for about 20 years, first as the architectural offices of Wes Korman and presently as the offices of Dr. Robert McKenzie and a Real Estate Firm. Various window types are found in this house one-over-one double-hung are used singly and in pairs, simple rectangular windows are used singly and in groups of 2 to 5.