The Ladow Block

Common Name: 
Laatz Building
Register/Inventory: 
Local
Address: 
201-239 SE Court St.
Lot: 
5-8
Block: 
8
Addition: 
Original Town of Pendleton
Plat: 
2N 32 11BB
Tax Lot: 
1300
Page: 
108
Date Constructed: 
1884-1890
Original Owner: 
George LaDow
Original Use/Function: 
Commercial
Present Use: 
Commercial
Area of significance/study theme: 
Architectural Style
Architectural style: 
Italianate
Plan type/shape: 
Rectangular 100' x 200'
Structural Frame: 
Brick
Foundation material: 
Stone
Roof Form & Materials: 
Flat
Wall Construction: 
Brick
Primary window type: 
Second story covered, first story storefronts
Primary exterior surfacing materials: 
Brick
Outstanding decorative features: 
Elaborate brick moldings around windows corbled brick cornice, recessed parapet panels
Number of stories: 
2
Basement: 
No
Condition in 1985: 
Good
Exterior alterations/additions (dated): 
Building on the west half of lots 7 & 8 was constructed in 1884, the remainder was constructed in 1890
Statement of significance: 
The LaDow Block consists of two separate buildings both built by George LaDow. The first, built in 1884, originally had a wooden roof extending over the side walk at the first story and an exterior stair on the east side to reach the second floor. This building housed the U.S. Post Office in 1890. Both buildings are constructed in the Italianate style, the newer one designed with considerably taller proportions. Both buildings have brick molding capping the second story windows. The storefronts have been remodeled variously over the years but several still display the original narrow band of glazing above the present awnings. The second story is presently used only for storage thus the windows have been filled in.